How the Blog was Born

Hi, my name is Geri and I'm a reformed Gluten Eater. I've been Gluten Free for over 4 years now, and I'm hanging on! In fact I'm such a Gluten Free fanatic that I'm sure I irritate my friends with all my "this is why gluten is bad for you" talk! But I have had a few friends want to jump on the wagon with me, so this is for them. I decided it might be easier to have my recipes in a place where they could get them instead of waiting for me to email them!! And it gives me a venue to talk all I want about the evils of gluten, and traditional medicine, and artificial sweeteners and so on and I will never know if you tune me out!! So that is How the Blog was Born. Whether it dies or not...we shall see....well I don't think you can kill one of these things, so I guess it's here to stay. If you want some ideas and recipes on how to eat Gluten Free, and how to keep your kids and yourself out of the doctors office then feel free to join me!! And if you have things to share, please comment and I'll add it on!!





Enjoy the Journey!!


Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Homemade Granola Bars

These are for anybody!!  You don't have to be non gluten eater to love these!!  If you do have Celiac then make sure you use Gluten Free oats!  You will love these, guaranteed!!  My kids say, the more chocolate the better, but of course you can stay with the healthier version and add dried blueberries or other dried fruit.  Whatever you love!!  But be careful...they are addicting!!


Plain Granola Bars:

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

In a jelly roll pan, toss together:
2 cups oats (I use old fashioned oats)
½ cup flax seed meal (or wheat bran)
¼ cup sesame seeds
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup coconut (I like to use 1/2 unsweetened and 1/2 regular)

Toast in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes. Stir every now and then and keep an eye on them so the edges don’t over brown.

Meanwhile, line an 11 X 13 inch (approximate) baking dish with parchment or wax paper that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick spray. Be sure the paper is long enough to fold over the top of the granola bars.

In a saucepan, bring to a simmer, stirring constantly:
2/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup honey
4 Tbls. butter
2 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp salt

Mix everything together in a large bowl. Add 1 cup of dried fruit if you like. Make sure everything is well coated. Pour into the paper lined dish, fold the paper over and press hard all over the granola. You want this very compacted so the bars won’t fall apart later.
My kids love to put chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in my little food chopper and then sprinkle them over the top of the granola bars.  Okay, I like it too!!

Cool and and cut into bars.  (if they last on the counter that long!!)


For Peanut butter granola bars use 1 cup peanuts and ½ cup of peanut butter instead of butter in the recipe and leave out the sunflower seed and the coconut.
Have fun and create your families own favorite granola bars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment