How the Blog was Born

Hi, my name is Geri and I'm a reformed Gluten Eater. I've been Gluten Free for over 4 years now, and I'm hanging on! In fact I'm such a Gluten Free fanatic that I'm sure I irritate my friends with all my "this is why gluten is bad for you" talk! But I have had a few friends want to jump on the wagon with me, so this is for them. I decided it might be easier to have my recipes in a place where they could get them instead of waiting for me to email them!! And it gives me a venue to talk all I want about the evils of gluten, and traditional medicine, and artificial sweeteners and so on and I will never know if you tune me out!! So that is How the Blog was Born. Whether it dies or not...we shall see....well I don't think you can kill one of these things, so I guess it's here to stay. If you want some ideas and recipes on how to eat Gluten Free, and how to keep your kids and yourself out of the doctors office then feel free to join me!! And if you have things to share, please comment and I'll add it on!!





Enjoy the Journey!!


Monday, March 22, 2010

Healthy Gluten Free Bread

This is for you Hearty Bread Lovers!!  (Mar 23rd, I just revised it!!) This is a fabulous recipe!!  My kids love the white bread, but this is my favorite!!  It actually has some fiber and protein in it!! Gotta love that!!  I took it from a recipe book and played with it, and this is what I got!! Hope you like it as much as me!!  HOWEVER: this recipe has rolled oats in it, so if  you have celiac and you can't have oats, then either get gluten free oats or use the quinoa flakes instead.  I like it better with the oatmeal.  For those that may be confused, and just starting out, rolled oats are harvested with wheat and therefor are on the no-no list for gluten free foods.  I cut them out of our diet at the beginning and added them back slowly.  No one here seems to have a problem with them so we are okay!  So be careful!!  And remember that gluten free bread is WAY different from regular bread.  The consistency is more like a thick batter.  Don't be afraid...press on!!!


2 C GF flour mix
1/2 C oatmeal (or quinoa flakes)
3/4 C teff flour
1/4 C sorghum flour
3 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp salt
Mix together in your mixer with beaters, not a bread hook.

Add 1 1/2 Tbs yeast on top of the dry ingredients

In another bowl mix together :
1 3/4 C warm water
1/4 C oil (I always use olive, grapeseed or coconut oil)
**1/4 C honey
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Pour this over the yeast and let it sit for about 3-5 minutes, until the yeast starts to get bubbly.
Add 3 eggs and mix.  For a nutty bread you can add 1/4 C sunflower seeds. Scrape sides and beat on high for 5 minutes.  This is really important in helping the bread to raise!
**I just revised this bread because I hadn't tried it with honey for awhile and couldn't remember if it worked!!  If you'd rather use sugar, then cut the GF flour to 1 3/4 cup and add 1/4 cup of sugar with the dry ingredients and leave out the honey! That's all!!
Spray your pans.   This makes 2 medium sized loaves.  I double it and make 3 large loaves.   Gluten Free bread does not last as long as regular bread so don't make more than you can eat in a couple of days!  You can keep it in the freezer too.  Its usually best to slice and then freeze.

Divide evenly among your pans and smooth the top.  Put in a warm oven (170 F) for about 20-25 minutes, until raised.  Don't touch the pans, just turn the oven to 375 F and set the timer for 40 minutes for a smaller loaf, and 45-50 minutes for a larger loaf.  It takes longer to cook gluten free flours for some reason!!

When they are done, cool on a rack.  Rub the top with butter (if you like -  It makes the crust softer!)  Wait till it is cool to cut into it.  (If you can keep your kids away from it for that long!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment