How the Blog was Born

Hi, my name is Geri and I'm a reformed Gluten Eater. I've been Gluten Free for over 4 years now, and I'm hanging on! In fact I'm such a Gluten Free fanatic that I'm sure I irritate my friends with all my "this is why gluten is bad for you" talk! But I have had a few friends want to jump on the wagon with me, so this is for them. I decided it might be easier to have my recipes in a place where they could get them instead of waiting for me to email them!! And it gives me a venue to talk all I want about the evils of gluten, and traditional medicine, and artificial sweeteners and so on and I will never know if you tune me out!! So that is How the Blog was Born. Whether it dies or not...we shall see....well I don't think you can kill one of these things, so I guess it's here to stay. If you want some ideas and recipes on how to eat Gluten Free, and how to keep your kids and yourself out of the doctors office then feel free to join me!! And if you have things to share, please comment and I'll add it on!!





Enjoy the Journey!!


Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Where Do I Get It???

You are probably noticing a lot more GLUTEN FREE items at your regular grocery store!! Supply and Demand!  There are people everyday realizing the health benefits of a gluten free diet!!  We'll talk about that one on another post, but for now, I know it may seem difficult to find all of these strange flours.  But it's not so hard anymore!!  I'm writing this for friends in my own City of Nampa, and Boise, so if you are far away, well then you'll have to do your own research!

The Boise Co-op has all of the different gluten free flours you will need and pastas.  However they are far away if you live by me!
Jakes Gluten Free Store in Meridian has everything gluten free, but they are a small store so I would suggest calling first to make sure they have what you want in stock before going there, unless you live next door!
Fred Meyers carries a whole line of gluten free products back in their health food section. 
Winco (who doesn't love Winco!!)  has a few things...getting more all the time.  They have white rice flour (not the asian market kind!!) - I get some of this to use in my gravies and sauces, they have Tapioca Starch in bulk, so it is a lot less expensive.  And my favorite!!  Just this week I found out that they carry Gluten Free Elbow Macaroni noodles!!!!! Yeah!!  It is WAY cheaper than anywhere!!  They have it in bulk.  I just buy it by the box!!
Several of the Albertsons carry a few things.  The one in Eagle has a lot of gluten free items!

Asian white rice flour - very important in baking, but don't use for bread!!  The Asian market I go to is in Boise by Shopko on Fairview.  I think it is called California Market.  But if you just look up Asian markets in the phone book and find one by you they will most likely have it!!

A Friend just sent me this info on another place you can find gluten free items.  She mentioned a really good premade mix for pancakes, and also lots of pasta!!  thanks Kathy!!
Cliff's Country Market
(208) 455-2460

217 Blaine St
Caldwell, ID 83605


If you know anything I don't, please comment and share!! I'll add it on here!!

7 comments:

  1. Geri - love the new blog! I know this will help a lot of people who are getting started on the gluten-free journey.

    Love ya :)
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, i found your blog from discount queens. i'm so happy that you have started this and i know i will use it, so please don't stop! my son was diagnosed with pdd-nos (basically autistic tendencies) and it was suggested to do a gluten free casein free diet. we have him off milk and its helped and now its time for the GF part.. its so intimidating. i would love if you could email me so i can ask more questions. dntbaker@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister-in-law sent me a link to your blog...and I'm so glad she did. I've been gluten-free for 3 months now (for my nursling's sake), but dairy-free for 2 years. I'll be excited to check often for recipes. We've tried about 8 different breads and 4 different pizza crusts all to utter disappoint, so I'll be trying your bread recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geri,
    Here is another location in Caldwell where I've found GF flours and packaged items, including all sorts of noodles. They've been our sanity.
    Kathy C.

    Cliff's Country Market.
    (208) 455-2460
    217 Blaine St
    Caldwell, ID 83605

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found online that Azure Satandard has amost everything for a better price but that is before shipping and I am not sure how much shipping is.

    Christine Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Geri,
    I came across another GF website with name brand products that are gluten free and it provides a plethra of GF info! (Liveglutenfreely.com)
    Also, I spoke with the manager of Walmart on 12th Ave. today and he said they are increasing their supply of GF products, adding another 40 products - mostly baking flours,to their current supply within the next 45 days.
    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a while since you've updated this page so I wanted to let you know that Winco now has almost 10 different kinds of GF pasta in the bulk department that can be purchased for less than $2 per pound if purchased in bulk (a 10 lb box for $18-$19). They also have almost all of the flours and starches and such (except for the potato starch and potato flour, but I'm working on that - it'll happen faster if more people request it - at the Meridian Winco) for REALLY cheap. Winco also has lots of packaged GF mixes in the baking isle and a pre-made GF pizza crust in the isle with the other pre-made pizza crusts (like Boboli and Mama's). They add more products all of the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete