How the Blog was Born

Hi, my name is Geri and I'm a reformed Gluten Eater. I've been Gluten Free for over 4 years now, and I'm hanging on! In fact I'm such a Gluten Free fanatic that I'm sure I irritate my friends with all my "this is why gluten is bad for you" talk! But I have had a few friends want to jump on the wagon with me, so this is for them. I decided it might be easier to have my recipes in a place where they could get them instead of waiting for me to email them!! And it gives me a venue to talk all I want about the evils of gluten, and traditional medicine, and artificial sweeteners and so on and I will never know if you tune me out!! So that is How the Blog was Born. Whether it dies or not...we shall see....well I don't think you can kill one of these things, so I guess it's here to stay. If you want some ideas and recipes on how to eat Gluten Free, and how to keep your kids and yourself out of the doctors office then feel free to join me!! And if you have things to share, please comment and I'll add it on!!





Enjoy the Journey!!


Saturday, March 20, 2010

GF Pizza Dough

This is by far the best recipe I've found for Pizza dough!!  You can make it thick or thin.  I prefer thin, because I have to make lots of pizzas!!  One batch usually makes 2 large and 2 medium size pizzas.  That is with the thin crust.  Probably 2 pizzas with a little thicker crust!
Preheat your oven to 425 F

2 C brown rice flour
2 C tapioca starch flour
2/3 C powdered milk
3 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
1 T sugar
**mix dry ingredients in mixer (I use my bosch with cookie paddles)  don't try using a dough hook!!
2 Tbs yeast - put this on top of the dry ing. and don't mix in
In a separate bowl put 1 1/2 C warm water, 1 tsp vinegar, 3 Tbs oil  - pour on top of the yeast and leave for about 3 minutes until you see the yeast get bubbly
add 2 eggs and beat until smooth! 
**I have also been in a hurry and just thrown all the ingredients in the bosch at one time and mixed!!  It seemed to turn out just the same!  Where you aren't expecting this to raise, it works great!

Spray your pizza pans with Pam.  The dough will be very sticky!!  If you have a little Pampered Chef  dough roller (or one like it), they work the best!!  You PLOP (it's really the best word I can think of!!) your dough onto your pizza pans.  Then spray the top of the dough with Pam and gently start to roll it.  It is really sticky so you have to do it carefully.  that is why the little spreader works better than a big rolling pin.  You can add a little flour to the top if you need to. I can usually get by with just the pam!

Put your dough in the heated oven for 5 minutes.  Then just take it out and add your toppings!! 
This is what I do:
Spread tomato sauce on the crust, sprinkle with pizza seasoning (from the bulk section of Winco) put on pepperoni and mozzerella cheese and cook for about 10 Min!! (or until the cheese is nice and brown!!) YUM!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the great recipes! We've made four loaves of your white bread and made this pizza twice. YUM!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe as pizza crust! I also use it to make "pigs in a blanket" and adapted it slightly to make cinnamon rolls. The one thing that I hear from people that need to eat gluten free is that they really miss cinnamon rolls. Since standard gf bread dough cannot be rolled out like wheat based dough can be, this pizza crust has been an answer to many a prayer! I'd love to share my recipe if you'd like. :-)

    ReplyDelete