How the Blog was Born

Hi, my name is Geri and I'm a reformed Gluten Eater. I've been Gluten Free for over 4 years now, and I'm hanging on! In fact I'm such a Gluten Free fanatic that I'm sure I irritate my friends with all my "this is why gluten is bad for you" talk! But I have had a few friends want to jump on the wagon with me, so this is for them. I decided it might be easier to have my recipes in a place where they could get them instead of waiting for me to email them!! And it gives me a venue to talk all I want about the evils of gluten, and traditional medicine, and artificial sweeteners and so on and I will never know if you tune me out!! So that is How the Blog was Born. Whether it dies or not...we shall see....well I don't think you can kill one of these things, so I guess it's here to stay. If you want some ideas and recipes on how to eat Gluten Free, and how to keep your kids and yourself out of the doctors office then feel free to join me!! And if you have things to share, please comment and I'll add it on!!





Enjoy the Journey!!


Tuesday, March 23, 2010

GF Graham Crackers

Bet you thought you'd never have cheesecake again!!  Or that your kids would never have graham crackers with frosting dripping off the sides like when we were kids!!  Or worse yet....S'MORES!!!Well, worry no more!!  Camping can be great again!  These Graham Crackers are so good!  People that have tried them that don't eat gluten free want the recipe!  They are so good!!  And easy to make!!  My kids can make them!  I have my good friend, Jennifer, to thank for these!! She helped me out a lot when I was getting started!  I couldn't have done it without her!!

3/4 C butter
1/4 C honey
1 C brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Beat together and add:
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3 t baking powder
3 C + 2 T GF flour mix ( make sure you use the mix that has the brown rice flour in it! It doesn't work  with the really fine flour)

Mix together then SLOWLY add  about 1/2 cup of water (more or less) just until dough forms a soft ball.
Refrigerate on hour (or throw it in the freezer about 15 minutes!)

Roll out 1/2 the dough at a time between wax or parchment paper.  Flip onto jelly roll and roll out more if you need to then trim to make a rectangle.  I just roll it to the edge.  Cut into little rectangles with pizza cutter and prick with a fork.  Sprinkle with sugar or cinnamon suger. 
Bake @325, 20-30 minutes.  You really want to watch them!!  I usually turn my pans a time or two.  You want them to be a deep golden brown.  For graham crackers, the crispier the better!!

No comments:

Post a Comment