How the Blog was Born

Hi, my name is Geri and I'm a reformed Gluten Eater. I've been Gluten Free for over 4 years now, and I'm hanging on! In fact I'm such a Gluten Free fanatic that I'm sure I irritate my friends with all my "this is why gluten is bad for you" talk! But I have had a few friends want to jump on the wagon with me, so this is for them. I decided it might be easier to have my recipes in a place where they could get them instead of waiting for me to email them!! And it gives me a venue to talk all I want about the evils of gluten, and traditional medicine, and artificial sweeteners and so on and I will never know if you tune me out!! So that is How the Blog was Born. Whether it dies or not...we shall see....well I don't think you can kill one of these things, so I guess it's here to stay. If you want some ideas and recipes on how to eat Gluten Free, and how to keep your kids and yourself out of the doctors office then feel free to join me!! And if you have things to share, please comment and I'll add it on!!





Enjoy the Journey!!


Thursday, April 8, 2010

GF White Cake

Okay, I hate to brag....but...I made the BEST white cake in the world for my sons birthday!!!  I took a recipe that I have made that was okay, and tweeked it and everyone kept asking, "Is this really gluten free?"  My husband kept saying, "What happened?  This is great!"  I just love it when that happens!!!  So here goes!!  The worlds best Gluten Free White cake!  (okay, maybe just the best in MY world!!)

Geri's Best Little White Cake Ever (you have to know Richard Scarry to appreciate that!)
Preheat oven to 350

1 C sugar
1 cube of butter, softened - cream together and add
3 eggs
cream together for about 2 minutes (important!!)  then add:
1 C sour cream
1 tsp pure almond extract and mix thoroughly

Add: 2 C GF Baking flour mix (you have to use the mixture with the ASIAN white rice flour or it doesn't work!!)
1/2 tsp xantan gum
1 tsp bkg powder
1 tsp bkg soda
1/4 tsp salt
mix everything together, scaping bowl often.  Then while it is mixing slowly add 1/2 C boiling water and continue mixing for about 1 min.  *To make a thinner cake in a larger pan, don't add boiling water.
Mix on high for 2 minutes. 

Spray a 9x13 pan and pour batter evenly into pan.  Bake 25-30 min.  (if your oven cooks hot check after 20 but make sure it is completely done on the inside!!   Better a little more done than underdone)

I make my own frosting from just butter, milk, and powdered sugar!!  I just throw it all in and mix so I'm not really good for a recipe on that one!!  Frost with whatever you like!!  Oh so yummy!!  ENJOY!!

** I like this recipe for a raspberry (or whatever fruit) cream cheese cake.  I make it in a larger pan with sides and so it is a little thinner.  I mix a brick of cream cheese, a cup of powdered sugar and a carton of whipping cream (already mixed up) and that is the frosting.  Then I put raspberries in syrup plus fresh raspberries on top. YUM!

1 comment:

  1. Geri, where do you get the flour mixture with the Asian white rice flour????

    ReplyDelete