How the Blog was Born

Hi, my name is Geri and I'm a reformed Gluten Eater. I've been Gluten Free for over 4 years now, and I'm hanging on! In fact I'm such a Gluten Free fanatic that I'm sure I irritate my friends with all my "this is why gluten is bad for you" talk! But I have had a few friends want to jump on the wagon with me, so this is for them. I decided it might be easier to have my recipes in a place where they could get them instead of waiting for me to email them!! And it gives me a venue to talk all I want about the evils of gluten, and traditional medicine, and artificial sweeteners and so on and I will never know if you tune me out!! So that is How the Blog was Born. Whether it dies or not...we shall see....well I don't think you can kill one of these things, so I guess it's here to stay. If you want some ideas and recipes on how to eat Gluten Free, and how to keep your kids and yourself out of the doctors office then feel free to join me!! And if you have things to share, please comment and I'll add it on!!





Enjoy the Journey!!


Monday, February 14, 2011

GF Pie Crust

I've never been much of a pie fan.  My mom always said she made the best pie crust around, and I guess comparitively speaking it was pretty good...for pie crust.  I could take it or leave it...I mostly left it!
Until now!  HOLD THE PHONE!  This pie crust is soooo good!  I actually like pie!! I actually MAKE pie!  And the real clencher - my husband likes it!  I have my friend, Felicia, to thank for this pie crust.  She found it, so I can't take credit.  But I will put it on my blog for all to enjoy!  It is fantastic!!

GF Pie Crust

3/4 C Brown Rice flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/3 cup butter (room temp is fine but not too soft)
1 tsp honey
2 Tbls cold water

Stir flour, salt and xanthan gum together really well. 
Cut in butter.  Add the honey and stir with a fork. 
Add the water a little at a time until a ball is formed. Don't mix it too much.
Roll out the dough between two sheets of wax paper (or aluminum foil)
Peel off one side then set the dough back down on the paper.
Flip it and peel the other side off.  Then flip it into your pan. It's easier to peel it before you put it in the pie plate! This is really flakey dough so just push it back together when it tears!
This makes a 9" pie.  Poke holes in the bottom with your fork and
bake @350 for 15 minutes or until brown.
Now go make a yummy pie!!  Tell me how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment