How the Blog was Born

Hi, my name is Geri and I'm a reformed Gluten Eater. I've been Gluten Free for over 4 years now, and I'm hanging on! In fact I'm such a Gluten Free fanatic that I'm sure I irritate my friends with all my "this is why gluten is bad for you" talk! But I have had a few friends want to jump on the wagon with me, so this is for them. I decided it might be easier to have my recipes in a place where they could get them instead of waiting for me to email them!! And it gives me a venue to talk all I want about the evils of gluten, and traditional medicine, and artificial sweeteners and so on and I will never know if you tune me out!! So that is How the Blog was Born. Whether it dies or not...we shall see....well I don't think you can kill one of these things, so I guess it's here to stay. If you want some ideas and recipes on how to eat Gluten Free, and how to keep your kids and yourself out of the doctors office then feel free to join me!! And if you have things to share, please comment and I'll add it on!!





Enjoy the Journey!!


Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mexican Chicken over Rice

Oh my jeepers!  I made the BEST dinner!!  It's always a toss up when I try something new if anyone will eat it or not.  I never use a recipe, I usually just start throwing things together!  At my house I rarely venture from the mundane, everyday list of meals my family will eat!  But this day all started when my daughter wanted a can.  A can you say?  Yes, she was fixing up her locker (that we have out in the garage) for school and she needed this little can which happened to have green chilies in it.  So I told her to go ahead and open it and I would use it for dinner!!  PLUS - now this is the bonus - I have been putting zuchinni in EVERYMEAL for the last few weeks!!  No one knows and it's a great way to use it!!  I usually put it in my little food chopper and chop it up fine.  I stick it in hamburger, in my tuna noodle casserole (no joke!) and everything!! 
So this is what I did...(and EVERYONE loved it and ate every drop!!)

Start with a crock pot -
put in 4 or 5 chicken breasts (I have 9 kids at home eating plus Scott and I and that's what I use)
throw on the green chilies
chop up an onion, zuchinni, peppers (the last of the little sweet peppers I had in my bag) and throw that on top of the chicken.  Then I poured on a little salsa (homemade by my husband!!) and then put in enough water to almost cover it all.  I threw in 4 chicken bouillion cubes (gf ones I get at winco). 
I started it about 1:00 in the afternoon and it cooked all afternoon on high. 
Then right before dinner I made a roux.  I used about 1/2 a cube of butter.  But I accidentally burned it!  I was so bummed!!  But did you know that burnt butter doesn't taste burnt?  So guess what?  I actually used it!  I then put in about 1/2 cup of rice flour and stirred it for a couple of minutes.  Then you slowly add milk to make a roux as thick as you would like.  But then I added that to the sauce in the crock pot.  I took the chicken out to cut it up into little peices ( or shred it) and made the sauce then added it all together!  It was yummy!
I served it over rice with quinoa.  I put1 cup quinoa and 3 cups rice in my rice cooker.  I did just white rice.  It is so yummy with the quinoa.  cook it the same as you would regular rice!  It's great!!

It really was yummy (did I say that already?).  You can use it as the insides of chicken enchiladas too!  That was the plan but I ran out of time. 
Anyway, good stuff!  If you don't try it, atleast I now have it written down for posterity!!

No comments:

Post a Comment